Negligent Operation of a Motor Vehicle
Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 90, Section 24(2)(a) punishes violators of the crime of Negligent Operation of a Motor Vehicle with imprisonment of not less than 2 weeks up and up to 2 years in the House of Corrections.
In order to be found guilty of the crime of Negligent Operation of a Motor Vehicle, the prosecutor is required to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt:
- That the defendant operated a motor vehicle;
- That he did so on a public way or in a place where the public has a right of access; and
- That he did so in a negligent manner so that the lives or safety of the public might have been endangered.
Notably, a person can be found to have driven negligently even if no accident resulted, and even if there was no one else on the road at the time to be put in danger. The crime of Negligent Operation of a Motor Vehicle seeks to punish someone if he drives in a way that has the potential to cause an accident or to endanger anyone who might be on the road. Conversely, even if there was an accident, that is not, in and of itself, evidence that the defendant drove in a negligent manner.
Juries are often asked to consider a number of factors in determining whether someone actually drove in a negligent manner, including:
- Rate of speed;
- Manner of operation;
- Defendant's physical condition and how well he could see and control his vehicle;
- Condition of the vehicle;
- Type of road;
- Whether anyone else was on the road;
- Time of day and weather conditions; and
- What any other vehicles or pedestrians were doing at the time.
Boston Criminal Lawyer Lefteris K. Travayiakis has extensive experience in defending persons charged with the crime of Negligent Operation of a Motor Vehicle, as well as other Motor Vehicle Offenses.
To schedule a Free Consultation and to discuss your criminal case with Attorney Lefteris K. Travayiakis, Contact Us Online or call 617-325-9500.
- Somerville Taxi Driver Charged with DUI / Drunk Driving in Boston Tyler A. Bryan, of Somerville, was arrested this morning on Massachusetts Drunk Driving Charges after he allegedly ran his taxi into a snowbank in the ....
- Holbrook Man Charged With DUI in Dorchester Crash Patrick Fay, 24, of Holbrook, was arrested and faces Massachusetts DUI / Drunk Driving Charges after he allegedly left the scene of an I-93 rollover ....
- Dorchester Man Arrested for Assault on Boston Police Officer With Gun Marvin Veiga was arraigned this morning in Dorchester District Court for allegedly Assaulting a Boston Police Officer with a Deadly Weapon, a rifle, ....